Receivable/Accounts - Information for Credit and Collection Issues

Friday, August 14, 2026

What Are We Doing Right?

Today, our new Outreach Manager landed a client – who used to use us, and stopped listing accounts with us in 2017.  There are always lessons to be learned when a client decides to use a competitor, but winning that client back after nine years?  In your first week in a sales role?  The real question is, what did she do right, and how do we bottle it, lean into it, and make sure we keep doing it?

T
his is a question I try to ask every week – often bumps in the road monopolize your day, eat your brain power, and occupy your thoughts, making you reactive – but really, if you are managing anything, you want to be looking at what works and do more of it, being proactive. 

A
nd when someone does something right, call attention to it – yes, applaud your team member, hold them up for others to see, and boost their morale, but help draw their attention to what is working, because they are likely dealing with bumps in the road, things that monopolize their time, and can drag them into a reactive spiral.

Y
ears and years ago (‘back in the day’), I’d drink my five coffees each with five sugars, see through space and time, and make 160 collection calls a day with a smile.  It would be easy  to focus on the 20 people who hung up on me, the 30 not in service numbers, and the 5 people that yelled or were vulgar … but I would rather focus on the 25 people who paid.  Negative experiences take more emotional and mental energy than positive ones – it would be easy to forget about the 25 positive calls, if I didn’t keep focus on them.  And of course, the people who did pay, I shouldn’t just take for granted – I should ask ‘why’?

T
his week, our teams have improved our AI workflow, reformatted a new letter, brought on over a dozen clients, onboarded a new staff member, and captured 4 positive google reviews, on top of hitting their revenue goals.  That’s a good week.  I’d like to focus on that.

G
ot questions about how to manage proactively and positively?  Drop me a note at blair@receivableaccounts.com.

T
hanks kindly,

B
lair DeMarco-Wettlaufer
K
INGSTON Data & Credit
2
26-946-1730

No comments:

Post a Comment